What is daylight saving time even saving?

Photo courtesy of reporter Addison Woods. 

The time comes every year when everyone sets their clocks back an hour and gains an hour of sleep. The sun starts to set before 5:00 p.m. but it’s light in the morning. 

This year, daylight saving time ended on November 7 and will start again on March 13, 2022.

San Luis Obispo High School students are wondering why daylight saving time ends anything at all.  

“It’s dumb and it doesn’t really help anyone anymore. Since electricity has become more mainstream it doesn’t serve a purpose,” said freshman Alani Kiaha.

It all started out in the late 1700s when Benjamin Franklin suggested that if people woke up early in the morning and went to bed early at night, Paris would save millions of pounds of candle wax. 

“I like getting more sleep but it’s weird looking outside and it’s already dark,” said junior Olivia Cusick.

Businesses and industries see daylight saving time as a money maker. 

“If you give workers daylight, when they leave their jobs, they are much more apt to stop and shop on their way home,” said professor at Tufts University Michael Downing. 

Daylight saving time lasts for 34 weeks, about 65 percent of the year. It starts in spring to make the sun set later in the day during warmer months and ends in fall. After it ends in fall, the sun rises earlier in the morning and sets before 5:00 p.m. 

States are trying to pass laws to have everyone permanently spring forward. Between 2015 and 2019, 29 states have introduced laws to put an end to resetting our clocks. 

If these laws are passed, then daylight savings would be permanent all year long. 

Students and staff might be able to look forward to not changing their clocks twice a year. 

Source: Npr.com 

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/01/1050492391/daylight-saving-time-history-what-you-need-to-know