The toxic world of the “That Girl” trend should be avoided

Photo Courtesy of Pinterest 

At San Luis Obispo High School some students feel pressured by social media to have a perfect life and be “That Girl”.

The “That Girl” trend is about achieving goals and self fulfillment. 

“That Girl” is someone who wakes up early, drinks green juices, fills out gratitude journals, works out, eats a very healthy breakfast, and drinks two liters of water a day. They have an overall aesthetic presence.

Some popular “that girl” accounts on social media applications Pinterest and Instagram include Mari with just three thousand followers and Emma Chamberlain with 593,000 followers. What accounts like these have in common are that they include posts about healthy foods and that they make a lot of morning routine content.

“I think that it’s aesthetically pleasing to watch, although some people think the That Girl trend sets unrealistic standards,” Leila Johnson said.

For girls, especially teenage girls, there is always social media pressure to become better, to become perfect.

The “That Girl” trend is focused on women’s self improvement, and the algorithm tells one that if they do these things that they can be “That Girl” too, when in fact, one does not have to change at all. Girls tend to be pressured by the media to have a perfect, untenable body and a perfect life. 

It’s not realistic for anyone, let alone highschool students, to achieve these unrealistic standards. 

Yes, it‘s good to have positive habits and routines, but “That Girl” takes it too far. One should have a routine that makes them feel healthy, physically and mentaly, but doesn’t make them feel like they need to change to fit in.