New free meals at school: What does this mean for our food service workers?

Allison Eaton (left) is pictured with colleagues Sara Slusser (middle) and Jane Nichols (right). Photo courtesy of Owen Spargo

Food service employees at San Luis Obispo High School (SLOHS) are looking forward to the new free lunch program, provided by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in coordination with local food producers. 

The new program has shifted the work of employees in the cafeteria with variables like menu changes and increased student participation in the program.

Expressions interviewed food service workers Allison Eaton, Jane Nichols and Linday Hayes about their new role in providing nutrition.

Expressions: How is the school able to provide free meals?

Senior Food Service Worker Allison Eaton: We get food from the USDA, the Department of Defense, and contracted vendors and local firms. Our food service director along with our new dietician, have put together menus that are focused on sustainability.

Expression: How does the food served at school promote sustainability?

Eaton: We get everything locally. For example, the reason we no longer serve bananas is because they don’t grow in the United States. They only really grow in places where workers are not treated well. But we live in California, the land of fresh fruit so we have access to lots of wonderful fruits and vegetables we try to share with all the kids.

Expression: With the new program, how has your role as a nutritionist changed?

Eaton: Well it has definitely tripled our workload, easily. We don’t serve anything pre-packaged, so we make everything from scratch. We take a lot of pride in making everything delicious and presenting it nicely. There’s also an extreme volume that we’re producing. Pre-pandemic, we were serving about 175 students. Now, we’re serving about 450. And so, it’s very taxing physically, and we’re doing our best.

Expressions: Do you think the new program is a push forward for food equity, and giving students access to nutrition regardless of income or background?

Food Service Worker Jane Nichols: Some students didn’t register for reduced price lunches before because of fear of sharing information or other personal reasons.

Eaton: There used to be stigma too. Before, it was perceived that only the poor kids got school lunches, but now that stigma is being resolved as all students are welcome regardless of income.

Expressions: So what’s attracting kids to school lunches now?

Nichols: We’re getting a lot more quality. For example, we’re getting products from Cal Poly. And it’s all made from scratch. You could be paying a lot more for that somewhere else.

Food Service Worker Sara Slusser:  It’s so good quality that I’m sure kids are seeing their friends eat it and they’re like, “I should go get something.”

Expressions: And how can students help food service workers especially during such stressful times?

Slusser: One thing today that I really appreciated is, it was hard to get the food out fast enough and I explained to everybody that the food’s coming and I just have to grab it. Everyone was patient with us. I really appreciate that they realize that we’re doing the best we can.

Nichols: We really want them to appreciate our hard work and they can do that by cleaning up after themselves. They can show their appreciation by throwing away milk cartons and not leaving them on the table.

Eaton: We’re looking for more food service workers too. Even students can work, and come in at lunch time for part of it. They get paid minimum wage and get their lunch. I can hire as many student workers as I want.