San Luis Obispo’s City Council is all women: A step forward in inclusivity

Photo illustration courtesy of senior Linnea Marks.

In the 2020 election, San Luis Obispo elected five women to fill all the seats of the city council, creating hope for the future and excitement for council members and the San Luis Obispo High School (SLOHS) community alike.

This election represented a historical moment, something that hasn’t happened in the 145 years of the elected council’s existence, and has helped to push for more inclusivity in local government.

Before this, the council had four women including now former Mayor Heidi Harmon, Vice Mayor Erica Stewart, and Councilmembers Andy Pease and Carlyn Christianson.

Aaron Gomez, a male councilmember whose term ended in early 2020 chose not to run for re-election, was replaced by Councilmember Jan Marx, filling the seats of the council with only women.

SLOHS English teacher Sholeh Prochello agreed that this provides hope for citizens of the city.

“It makes me feel good to think that the city is open to bringing women into power, and giving them that opportunity to prove themselves,” said Prochello.

English teacher Craig Stewart believes that female representation helps to make the council a more effective policy making body.

“On average, [the council has] a lot more interest and concern for women’s issues like childcare,” said Stewart.

Childcare and providing mothers the support they need is crucial to keeping San Luis Obispo’s local government inclusive.

“I think we’re still at a place in our culture, where there is a lot of assumed responsibility put on the mother. Giving women a chance to pursue their career while also having a family just like a lot of men have the opportunity to do is important,” said Prochello.

Luckily, this increased focus on childcare helps to create tangible reform. For example, last year the city council was able to pass new policies on zoning regulations for childcare, so that childcare could exist anywhere, from residential areas to commercial ones so women across the city can find childcare if they need.

Stewart attributes part of this efficient policymaking to the council being women.

“We’re not spending time starting the conversation on why childcare is important, we all agree on that and it’s a solid given value,” said Stewart.