“Seniors Reflect: How has Campus Changed Since Freshman Year?”

Photo collage courtesy of senior Nina Ramezani. Swimming pool before and after. 

Since its overwhelming approval in 2014, Measure D has knocked down and reinvented most of the San Luis Obispo High School campus, many of the developments including a new swimming pool, roundabout, and student services building. Compared to most other SLOHS students, the seniors have experienced the most change in campus from their freshman year; many even remember the old eucalyptus tree that used to overlook over the front of the school. But years later, much of SLOHS is unrecognizable from its original layout pre-Measure D. Expressions interviewed a few seniors about how much campus has changed in their past four years here at SLOHS.

Expressions: What is the most noticeable change on the SLOHS campus?

Senior Sonia McSwain: The biggest change is definitely the lack of a football field. Like you pull up to school and you expect to see it, but now it’s just a pile of dirt. It’s definitely weird not seeing it anymore, since it’s such a big part of campus, and it’s so familiar.

Senior Weston Jenkins: The new administration and math buildings completely change the physical feel of the campus. The admin building especially is a big change and makes everything feel much more modern and streamlined.

Senior Katie Kovesdi: The new student services building is something that I feel catches the most attention since everyone sees it walking into school.

Expressions: What do you miss the most about campus prior to Measure D?

McSwain: I really miss the big tree. My brothers attended SLOHS back when the cafeteria was still around and I have vivid memories of hanging out by the tree and waiting for them to finish their youth symphony practices. The tree was so big and so monumental, it was super sad to see it go.

Jenkins: The campus used to be much more open before it was closed by all the construction. While I’m sure it will be awesome when it’s done, it’s unfortunate how much of the campus is currently closed off.

Kovesdi: I miss the campus before construction became such a prominent part of our school. There were no big piles of dirt or traffic on the stairway.

Expressions: What new addition to campus do you like the most?

McSwain: I like the math building a lot, it’s definitely the most efficient use of space, but at the same time it lacks character, it feels sterile. It’s nice that all the math classes are in one area though.

Jenkins: The new shops are really amazing. They are totally redone on the inside and are way more open. Plus, they now have enough room to fit more of the machines we have, so there are so many new ways to work.

Kovesdi: I love the new roundabout because it looks so nice and really completes the front of the school.

Expressions: If you could add any new design or feature to the SLOHS campus, what would it be?

McSwain: I think paying more attention to updating the classrooms we already have would be nice. We have so many nice classrooms that are going untouched, but with a little TLC, they could be so much better and used more efficiently. I think that design-wise, I think we should create new murals to replace the old ones that were sadly destroyed in the process of construction

Jenkins: A better parking lot. The current one takes so long to get out of after school. Another exit from that lot that was dedicated to left turns would lessen the traffic in there.

Kovesdi: I would add a better hangout spot for students since most students just sit on the floor in the hallways. We should have a nice spot for students who eat lunch on campus.

Expressions: How does the current construction affect you now?

McSwain: The current construction is the worst, not only is it super distracting during classes, it makes walking around campus impossible. Having only one stairway up to the big building is ridiculous. The traffic has made me somewhat late to my third period almost every day. Not having the red stairs to help with traffic was a horrible idea.

Jenkins: The staircase to get to the 100 wing is crazy! With so much of the campus blocked off, it sometimes takes longer than the whole passing period to get through the traffic jam there.

Kovesdi: Seeing the football field makes me sad because its just an empty field of dirt. But I am excited to see the new one.

While SLOHS seniors reminisce about our old campus, we keep in mind that Measure D has great plans in store for the future and that our school will continue to greatly improve.