“Monster” D leaves SLOHS students and staff excited and annoyed

Photo Courtesy of Mars Huebler.

Although school and activities have begun, construction on site is still a big part of San Luis Obispo High School. Students and staff have run into issues with simple day-to-day tasks on top of COVID-19. 

Because of the recent science and social sciences wing opening, many critical classes have begun to occur in this area. 

Currently, students can see the elevator shaft and an open floor plan where the kitchen and second story technology classrooms will be going.

“There’s also some excitement about this…It’s both exciting and unnerving,” said Principle Rollin Dickinson.

Although there are plenty of problems arising for students and staff, students still have some things to look forward to. Once this construction is finished, everyone will get a lot more space and campus to be in. This includes new opportunities and openings for students. 

In an interview with assistant principal Julie Mamo, she made it clear that although the construction has been mainly a nuisance but she showed hope.

“It’s gonna be so cool when it opens,” said Mamo.

On top of that the school has a new cafeteria opening in 2024, which should prevent students from needing to go off campus. However, many students seem to be in disagreement with this because of the loss of freedom when campus closes again.

This is an issue for administrators too, because of the conflicts between student freedom and safety. 

With this people onsite also have other options for the congestion problem. Principal Dickinson wants to shed light on different routes to get to the science and social science wing. The roads near the auto shop and the math buildings can both lead around the campus to the back end of the new wing. There will also be a new ramp being built for better accessibility and room for more foot traffic. 

Although this large project can be stressful or just annoying to some, soon on the horizon, things will become easier.

Eventually, this humongous project will be finished and the campus will be even better than it is now.