October is Pride Month; Another Celebration Warped by Capitalism

This October is Pride month which is a time to celebrate the great diversity of sexual orientation in the United States.

Unfortunately, Pride Month has become, like many holidays, a corporation holiday relying on taking advantage of the month of celebration to sell soulless rainbow commodities to LGBTQ+ individuals.

Expressions has decided to inform San Luis Obispo High school students about how to navigate this year’s Pride through helpful purchases that give back to the community.  

How many times, during Pride, have you walked into a store to see countless items wrapped in a rainbow pandering to LGBTQ+ in hopes to make some quick cash. Companies have now recognized that along with mostly widespread acceptance of LGBTQ+ people they now have a new customer base. This new phenomenon has many terms like queer-baiting or rainbow capitalism. It strange how a society that until the last few years has been outwardly opposed LGBTQ+ lifestyles and culture, every June welcomes it with open arms. 

“During June you see all these company’s slapping rainbows on everything, selling Pride themed merch, and as soon as prides over, POOF it’s like the queer community never existed in the first place. The worst is when there is companies such as Urban Outfitters that has given money to anti-lgbt organizations and then show up to SF Pride with a massive float acting like they actually care about the community. It’s just gross,” said senior Carmen Silver.

Now this doesn’t mean that you can’t stock up on Pride gear this June, but it’s important you know where your money is going. Companies like Balenciaga, Tiffany, Versace, Coach Disney, H&M, Gap, Hollister, and Abercrombie and Fitch are donating proceeds to LGBTQ+  organizations like GLAAD and the Trevor Project. It is extremely important your money goes back to the community, and not towards greedy companies who are making money off of your pride.