What are REAL student opinions on the current summer fashion trends?

Photo credit courtesy of junior Talia Doane.

Summer fashion has been a topic of discussion among San Luis Obispo High School students for the last final weeks of school. What are people going to wear? What are the new trends going to be? Which celebrity is going to be the biggest style influencer for this summer? These are all questions that are asked by SLOHS students, and by people all over the world.

So how do people really feel about these so-called ‘trends’?

Expressions: What do your current predictions towards this summer’s fashion look like?

Sophomore Jordan Vaskov: I think bright colors like orange, green, blue, and pink, funky dresses, and low rise pants and skirts will be some of the fashion trends this summer.

Junior Fiona Steves: I think that most of the summer styles will be more laid back than they have been in the past. Of course still colorful, but more of relaxed items, like flannels, white tops, and just in general more classic/timeless pieces that aren’t as subject to fads as the summer trends have been in the past. I think that maxi skirts are going to still be pretty popular this summer, as they have been during winter/spring this year, but they’ll probably move out of the dark earth tones that we’ve seen so much just because that’s so typical for summer.

Senior Ella Mendoza: I know a lot of teenagers get inspiration off of TikTok, Instagram, and Youtube influencers.

Expressions: What summer fashion trends do you think will be your favorite?

Vaskov: I think that my favorite trend is the y2k vibe people are starting to bring back.

Stevens: I think my favorite trend of the summer will definitely be jorts. They don’t even have to be made of denim, but just shorts with a longer inseam in general. I’m thinking a colorful plaid pair that goes to mid thigh length will be so good.

Mendoza: I personally really like crochet pieces and I feel like that’s making a comeback. 

Expressions: What about your least favorite?

Vaskov: My least favorite trend is probably the neutral toned outfits that people are trying to go for.

Stevens: There’s nothing that I’m not really looking forward to except maybe skinny jeans but it’s subjective.

Mendoza: Unpopular opinion, I didn’t love the corset trend but I feel like it’s already kind of out of style. I like the way corsets were styled a long time ago when they were with elegant dresses but now they just seem uncomfortable and often unnecessary.

Expressions: What do you wish to see more of this summer that you believe you won’t see, or haven’t seen yet?

Vaskov: I’m wishing to see more of the skirts and small top sets that people are starting to make more trendy this summer.

Stevens: I hope to see people dressing in more timeless pieces as the rapid consumption of clothes for fads, that the media will move on from in a couple weeks to a month, is so bad for the environment as people will just give away those clothes when they don’t fit the advertised aesthetic, contributing to the pollution as 14 million tons of clothes are thrown away every year. 

Mendoza: Head scarfs are already a trend that’s probably going to continue this summer and also bright and pastel colors, fun prints, lots of accessories, and loose/flowy pants and skirts. Most of my closet comes from the thrift store so I end up dressing like my grandpa but in a fun way.