What is the best music to listen to while driving?

Photo Courtesy of junior Sofia Shaw.

Picking music to listen to in the car is an incredibly important choice for the average San Luis Obispo High School student. So important in fact, that some students have entire playlists dedicated to listening to in the car. 

Some albums were just made for taking the perfect cruise around town. Albums like “Channel Orange” by singer-songwriter Frank Ocean as well as “Atlanta Millionaires Club” by singer-songwriter Faye Webster are perfect for sunny days where the windows are rolled down and the person driving is in a great mood. 

“Superbloom’ by singer-songwriter Ashton Irwin is great.” said senior Maggie Zuniga

If the driver wanted to scream along to some certifiably iconic pop songs “Red’ by Taylor Swift has plenty of bangers such as ‘Red’, ‘State of Grace’, and ‘I Knew You Were Trouble’ and ‘Midnight Memories’ by One Direction because the vibes are immaculate and you can bump to it the whole time, it slaps so hard.” said sophomore Lindsay Smith.

If the driver wants some dramatic, sad, and lyrically masterful music to listen to during a night drive, they might look towards “Punisher” by singer-songwriter Phoebe Bridgers or “Puberty 2’ by singer-songwriter Mitski” said junior Sophia Lea. 

“I Know The End” off of “Punisher” is perfect for primally screaming into the dark abyss of night during a drive.

Maybe it’s a rainy day and the driver wants music that is just as blue as the drive its, so why not listen to singer-songwriter Lizzy McAlpine’s new EP: “When the World Stopped Moving”. All of the songs on the EP are live recorded and acoustic, just perfect for a rainy afternoon. 

Say the driver is headed to a COVID-safe date and needs a quick confidence boost. “Tidal” by singer-songwriter Fiona Apple will do the trick. Tracks such as “Criminal” that showcase Apple’s sultry vocals could make anyone feel good. Another album that falls under this category is “Back to Black” by recording artist Amy Winehouse. 

Jamming to music in the car can be the highlight of a driver’s day, assuming they pick quality music.