91.2 percent of SLOHS students don’t use their lockers. Why?

Photo courtesy of junior Talia Doane

The lockers at San Luis Obispo High School are forgotten by most SLOHS students. High school lockers are standardly used to store books and bags that high schoolers do not need to carry around all day. 

When high school students think of lockers, they mostly think of the lockers that are portrayed in the media. In TV shows and movies, high school is meant to be shown in a very specific way. This means that lockers are seen as a huge part of high schools, when in reality at SLOHS they in fact are not used very often.

“Oh my goodness, the lockers in movies can fit an entire human in them, that’s just unrealistic for the amount of students at our school. Our lockers are minuscule however a bigger locker would be a lot more useful. I got my locker number when I was a freshman but I never ended up using it or finding it in the first place. One because I knew they were super small and kind of useless. But also because I just like having everything with me because campus is so spread apart,” said junior Eden Lerner.

In a survey conducted by the Red and Blue Staff at Alliance High School, 8.8 percent of students said that they do use their lockers, leaving 91.2 percent of students to not use their lockers at all.

“Personally, I don’t have to carry that much stuff, especially with the block schedule. I think most people just leave their sports bag/textbooks in their cars or friends’ cars if they need them after lunch (when we have a normal schedule),” said sophomore Gia Anselmo. 

In the same survey, 20.6 percent of students said that lockers are important to use, while 79.4 said they are not.

“If the lockers were bigger, they may have been helpful for a certain book or supply that I only need for school, but I don’t think I would necessarily need or really want a locker even if it was bigger,” said Lerner.

WIth Measure D currently taking out the old office locker rows, he last of the SLOHS lockers are currently located in the foreign language wing and auto shop at SLOHS. If lockers are ultimately useless to the average SLOHS student, why are they even there? Well, they won’t be for long.

Source: accrtw.org