Everyone at SLOHS should give musician Phoebe Bridgers a listen.

Photo Courtesy of junior and reporter Sofia Shaw 

Many San Luis Obispo High School students have been talking about up and coming musician Phoebe Bridgers. 

But who is she?

Phoebe Bridgers is from Pasadena, California and has been involved in music since she was young, taking guitar and vocal lessons, busking in the Pasadena Farmers Market and attending a performing arts high school. 

Her first EP was produced by singer-songwriter Ryan Adams, who would later be revealed to be Bridgers’ abuser. Bridgers would go on to write “Motion Sickness”, a single off of her album “Stranger in the Alps” about the relationship she had with Adams. 

“I hate you for what you did / and I miss you like a little kid” and “There are no words in the English language/ I could scream to drown you out” are just two of the lyrics that reveal the toxicity of their relationship as well as the incredible lyricism that has made Bridgers stand out recently.

Bridgers has released two studio albums: “Stranger in the Alps” and “Punisher”.

“Punisher” recently earned Bridgers four Grammy nominations including: Best New Artist, Best Alternative Music Album, Best Rock Performance, and Best Rock Song. 

Singer-songwriter Elton John said he would “hit someone” if Bridgers didn’t win a Grammy. 

She ultimately did not end up winning any of the categories. However, she took the losses on the chin. 

Bridgers tweeted “stop the count” after Megan Thee Stallion won Best New Artist quickly followed by “jk megan you’re a f–king legend”. 

“Punisher” stands as another piece of evidence of Bridgers’ fantastic lyricism with lyrics such as “You couldn’t have, you couldn’t have/Stuck your tongue down the throat of somebody/Who loves you more/So I will wait for the next time you want me/Like a dog with a bird at your door” from “Moon Song” and “The doctor put her hands over my liver/She told me my resentment’s getting smaller” from “Garden Song”. 

Bridgers has also participated in several collaborations such as, “boygenius”, her band that also features singer-songwriters Julien Baker and Lucy Daucus, “Better Oblivion Community Center” an entire album in collaboration with recording artist Conor Oberst: the lead singer of “Bright Eyes”, and even a feature on recording artist Kid Cudi’s latest album. 

“I love both Phoebe and her work. I think she has a great voice, writing style, and artistry. Her lyrical style is able to convey deep ideas and emotions through common experiences and detailed imagery. She manages to juxtapose her very intimate and depressing observations with more comedic ones in a flawless manner resulting in an audience that feels a deep connection to her words. I have and will continue to recommend her music to anyone that will listen.” said junior Sophia Lea. 

Everyone at SLOHS should give Phoebe Bridgers a listen.