The “Never Stop Creating” Challenge by Central Coast Film Society Is Looking For Student Submissions by April 15th!

The Central Coast Film Society is looking for San Luis Obispo High School student submissions for six $100 scholarships. 

The “Never Stop Creating” Challenge has six categories that student filmmakers, photographers, podcasters, and media creators can enter by April 15th.

Last call for submissions to the ‘Never Stop Creating’ student challenge to win awards and scholarships, hosted by Central Coast Film Society. Students from Monterey County, San Luis Obispo County, Santa Barbara County, and Ventura County receive constructive feedback from the Central Coast Film Society board members and are eligible to have an opportunity to showcase their work in the “Never Stop Creating” Student Showcase. 

“The ‘Never Stop Creating’ Student Challenge is not only an opportunity to celebrate Central Coast students who found (safe) ways to continue creating throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. It’s also an opportunity to celebrate the heart of the Central Coast community, from professional judges volunteering their time and expertise, to the generous sponsors who donated $600 in student scholarships, this is what makes our community special.” said Sarah Risley, board member of the film society in an interview about the student challenge.

Finalists entered into the online student showcase will have their work reviewed by a panel of judges from the industry and academia to earn Awards for Excellence and the opportunity for six $100 scholarships for each category.

There are five challenges that cover all aspects of film, digital media arts, and podcasting: The Film Challenge, the Podcasting Challenge, the Screenwriting/Storytelling Challenge, the Photography Challenge, and the Highlight Reel Challenge (Editing, Acting, Short/Long Form Digital Content).

SLOHS students who submit their films/creative works can also win the “People’s Choice Award”, voted on by attendees of the online showcase, worth another $100 scholarship.

The judges are Randi Barros, of Cal Poly’s Interdisciplinary Studies in Liberal Arts; Skye McLennan, festival director for the SLO Film Festival; Ken Napzok, podcastor, author and  YouTube producer and host; Sheryl Franciskovich, publisher and creative director for SLO LIFE Magazine; Chris Lambert, creator of “Your Own Backyard” podcast and freelance journalist; Josh Ernstrom, digital media producer for PG&E; and Chris Burkard, international photographer and filmmaker. 

“Above all, we know that the students who participate will receive invaluable insights, constructive feedback, and encouragement from this esteemed panel of judges,” said Risley. 

Creative submissions must fall within G, PG or PG-13 ratings and all submission must be available for public display.

For more information and to enter this very special competition, visit www.centralcoastfilmsociety.org/never-stop-creating-challenge.html

Good luck to all the SLOHS creators out there entering this competition!