Leah Heidler Throws to Victory

San Luis Obispo High School Junior Leah Heidler is one of the strong, female athletes who compete in the discus throwing events. Expressions asked Leah Heidler about her love for the ancient sport.

Expressions: What’s it like to be a thrower? What do you do?

Junior Leah Heidler: Basically, you spin around in a big concrete ring, and try to muscle out and implement as far as possible.

Expressions: What got you started in throwing?

Heidler: I tried to be a sprinter, but I was bad at it, so then I tried throwing, and I was better.

Expressions: How did this season go for you?

Heidler: Much better; I haven’t done the league meet yet, which is next week, but I’m 5 inches away from 100 feet in the discus.

Expressions: Is there anything you don’t like about throwing?

Heidler: The sport is really nice, and I don’t really have any complaints. The best thing about it is that the team is like a big family.

Expressions: What is the best part of being a thrower?

Heidler: Its super fun, and all the sprinters are really health conscious, but [throwers] bring junk food and just sort of binge while waiting for our events, which is awesome. It’s frustrating when you go through a period of about a week or two when you just can’t make anything work and you can’t make progress, but it’s the best when you can reach that goal and get to where you want to be.

Expressions: Would you encourage people who want to try Track and Field to become throwers?

Heidler: Yeah, it’s a definitely underrated program because sprinters get all the attention. We have a lot of guys, but girls should come out and try it. It’s like a “burly man” sport, but we have a lot of good girls and good teachers.