A Complete Holt Field Remodel Begins in April. Here are the Details.

Illustration courtesy of Measure D site construction coordinator Chris Bonin.

Generations of San Luis Obispo High School students have stood on the SLOHS Holt Field for everything from the all important Graduation ceremony to the now gone 24 Hour Relay.  

But the worst aspects of the field have always felt like unwanted elements of the high school experience. Creaky bleachers, a subpar sound system, and disgusting bathrooms are unfortunate memories that we’d rather forget.

Now we can.

Starting at the end of April, Holt Field will be completely remodeled over the next year as part of the San Luis Coastal Unified School District’s Measure D plan.  And it is a big money remodel.

“The cost of the new field will be $8,076,000,” said Measure D site construction coordinator Chris Bonin.

What is SLOHS getting out of this money spent?  

Upgrade highlights include a new nine lane all weather track and natural field turf, as well as perimeter fencing to match the Administration Building Fencing.  Concession Building and Press box?  Brand new.  New bleacher seating will provide room for 1189 home fans and a generous nine hundred  seat Visitor section,

And new bathrooms?  Yes. Finally.

Big remodel moves can mean big moves in events being held at the field. SLOHS sports will have bigger audiences.  Community members and even Cal Poly events will be able to rent the field.  

“We would eventually like to host CIF Track Championships here, instead of at Buchanon High,” said SLOHS Cross Country coach and Special Education teacher Adam Basch.

Modern facilities need modern electronics, which are included in the remodel.  This includes a new digital scoreboard, LED stadium lighting, and a new sound system.

With the project going deep into next school year, expect to see your favorite Tiger Sports on the field in the hopefully mask-free Fall of 2022.