It’s Spring Break. Do you know your zodiac sign placements?

Photo illustration credits of www.flickr.com

At San Luis Obispo High School, zodiac signs are something most students know about. But what many students don’t know is what each sign and their corresponding placement means. Over the course of the pandemic, SLOHS students, myself included, have found themselves diving deeper into the world of astrology.

Astrology has been known to date back at least to the second millennium BCE, with roots in calendrical systems. Following the 19th century, astrology has lost its theoretical and academic standing, and the common belief in it has declined. Even though the public belief in astrology has declined, many teenagers are learning more and more about astrology and what it really means.

“Certain signs have a certain reputation for certain personality traits. Each sign is divided, there are 12 of them, with the first sign being Aries and the last sign being Pisces. Each sign has different personalities, the moon is supposed to be what’s inside of you and the sun is what’s on the outside. That’s why not everyone who has the same sun sign is the same and as an astrologer, you have to look at every planet. The main ones are the sun and the moon. Mercury is your mind, Venus is your love life,” said English teacher Ivan Simon.

While most people know their basic sun placement, which is based on the month and date a person was born on, the other placements tend to get disregarded by most. Someone’s moon sign and rising (ascendent) sign each influence a different part of someone’s makeup. Your sun sign is your identity, your moon is your soul behind your identity, and your rising is your social personality. 

“Ever since I was little, I was very influenced by my mother who is very interested in spirituality and other forms of expression. This led to her fascination with zodiac signs so from a young age, I’ve known a lot about it. I think it partially comes from that human egocentric urge that makes you want to see how you fit into a category or what you get on a buzzfeed quiz. Now that I’ve gotten older, I’ve read the astrology books closely and have learned so much from them.  Although it may seem as simplistic as ‘I’m a leo’ because of your sun sign, it can be expanded and complexified. I really like how variable and volatile your personal astrological chart can be” said sophomore Mana Kiaha. 

Astrology is an interesting topic many SLOHS students are continuing to take interest in. Do you know your zodiac signs? If not, check out this link! https://astro.cafeastrology.com/natal.php