SLOHS Student Artist spotlight: Sophomore Mutale Mulama

Photo courtesy of sophomore Mutale Mulama.

As part of our on-going series highlighting the many talented artists at San Luis Obispo High School, Expressions talks to sophomore Mutale Mulama about the mediums she loves and the importance of self expression through art.

Expressions: How long have you been interested in art? What got you into it?

Sophomore Mutale Mulama: I’ve been interested in art for as long as I can remember. My mom loves art and studied art at UC Berkeley, so she’s the main reason I got so into it. I also just love expressing myself and feelings through visual art.

Expressions: What mediums do you like the most? Why?

Mulama: I absolutely love painting with watercolors: they are my favorite. They have such range— like they can be super vivid and bold, or light and soft. I also enjoy drawing with ink and using ebony pencils to do more value-focused work.

Expressions: What’s one of your favorite pieces you’ve done and why? Can you tell us about this piece?

Mulama: I haven’t created a piece where I’m like, ‘Oh my god,  that’s my favorite!’ I feel like I haven’t made something that incredible yet. However, I am proud of the mushrooms I painted on my wall. On a whim I just decided one night to paint something on my walls, and it turned out great!

Expressions:Why do you like art? What draws you to it?

Mulama: I like art because it’s a good way to relax and have fun. It also allows you to appreciate the world and its beauty. It is also a great form of self expression because you can never go wrong with how you express yourself.

Expressions: Do you plan to pursue art in the future? If so, how?

Mulama: In the future I will definitely keep up with my art, but maybe not as a main career path. I will continue to take art classes and make stuff for my home and stuff like that.