COVID Vaccines for SLOHS students over 16 are now available

Photo courtesy of senior Kaylie Hall

Good news for those eager to get their COVID-19 vaccine: San Luis Obispo High School students aged 16 and over who work in the foodservice or agriculture industries are now eligible to get COVID-19 vaccines in SLO County!

“I was really nervous to get it just because shots have always made me nervous in the past, but wanting to be COVID safe made me a lot more determined to get it. It barely hurt and I didn’t freak out for once which was a win, and I didn’t get any symptoms except for a sore arm. I’m very grateful!” said senior Kaylie Hall.

Certain CVS Pharmacy, Vons, and Rite Aid locations in SLO county are now opening up vaccine appointments; appointment times and reservations can be found online.

To make an appointment, students will need to have their parents enter their information, including insurance information and some personal information.

However, students ages 16 and 17 are only eligible to get the two-dose Pfizer vaccine, as the Moderna vaccine and other one-dose vaccines are not yet approved for people under the age of 18. Information on which location distributes which vaccines are usually available on the page where you make your appointment or in the confirmation email sent after the appointment is made.

Sites will usually require you to show up 15 minutes before your appointment time to verify the information and will have you wait 15 minutes after to make sure no symptoms like rashes or headaches occur. Some will also require students to bring a pay stub as proof of employment in the foodservice or agriculture industry.

Information about vaccines in SLO county can be found at www.recoverslo.org