Expression’s TV and Movie Review for March

Photo Illustration by senior Drew Vander Weele.

Most people can agree that being stuck inside this has led to a lot of boredom, and it never helps to scroll through the endless screens of Netflix or Hulu.

Expressions has decided to help students who are looking for something new to binge by reviewing some of our favorite shows from the past couple of months, we hope you enjoy it.

“Snowpiercer” : After a hit movie and first season Snowpiercer has returned to TNT to continue the story of the last survivors of the human race in a frozen world. For those who are unfamiliar with the story the “Snowpiercer” saga follows a bleak future where global warming forces scientists to release a chemical into the atmosphere in order to cool the Earth. This resulted in a dramatic shift in our temperature and weather resulting in another supercharge ice age, where the last remnants of the human race struggle to survive on a high speed train. The show is compelling, focusing on the human and social aspects of bleak reality, with twists and turns. The show is extremely accessible and easy to follow, but if you want to become a diehard fan the original movie is on Netflix and you can catch the first season of the TNT or HBO Max app. 

“The Little Things” : Kicking off HBO Max Warner Bros. Same Day Premiere platform “The Little Things” is the perfect crime drama for the weekend. With stunning performances from heavy hitters like Denzel Washington, Robi Malik, and Jared Leto; the film offers spine chilling suspense and a dark macabre storyline to always keep interest. The story offers a look into the psyche of cops who are haunted by the cases that were never solved. Even though the film is only available on HBO Max for 31 days and behind a paywall if these Same Day Premiere are just as well done as “The Little Things” it is definitely worth it. 

“Clarice” : Following the events after the “Silence of the Lambs” the show follows FBI criminal investigator Clarice Starling solving mysterious crimes, and diving into her past. The show is haunting and a wonderful continuation of the film’s terrifying scenes keeping the classic alive. The most shocking part of the show is the recreation of the classic shots from the film. They are extremely well done and honestly look like HD refurbishments of the original shots. 

Sadly the show like so many others is behind a paywall for CBS All Access, but if you are a fan of the film it is definitely worth it. 

“American Gods” : Returning for its third season “American Gods” follows the hit novel of the same name by Neil Gaimen. Following a man’s journey through the mystic world of an America inhabited and controlled by thousands of deities, “American Gods” offers viewers a beautiful look into folklore and the many pieces that makeup American story-telling. The show has a wonderfully dry comedy, laced with a mysterious intensity back with jaw-dropping performances. The show is extremely stylized using tons of music, folksy music along with some hard rock. This is truly a perfect show for those looking for something new to binge.