What is it like for the teachers teaching 6 periods, no prep?

Photo illustration curtsied of nea.org

As the school year continues at San Luis Obispo High School, some teachers are finding themselves with packed daily schedules. The school day at SLOHS consists of three periods spread over the course of two days. Most teachers only teach five of said periods. This gives them one period a day to prepare for the rest of their classes.

Some teachers do not have a “prep period” and are teaching all six periods, as well as Small Group Instruction (SGI). They are compensated for the extra period. Expressions set out to find how certain teachers are able to handle having no preparatory periods.

“Not having a prep is stressful.  I am working well outside of school day hours and on weekends in an effort to prepare meaningful, rigorous lessons each day. I prepare lesson plans in a Google spreadsheet.  Not only do I have all 6 periods to teach, but I must also prep for four different levels of Latin. The spreadsheet allows me to stay organized, plan out a timeline for each period, and keep a slim grasp on my sanity. Having a prep period would reduce the number of hours I spend working on weekends.  I am often missing time with my 18-month old daughter Zeta on Saturday mornings in order to prepare for the week ahead,” said Latin teacher Chad Timm.

Since this school year is very different than last, teachers are still adjusting to having six periods. With the introduction of a new period, days cut in half, along with no prep, it’s a wonder how teachers handle it.

“Because I have been through a full semester of distance teaching, I have been able to adapt better to teaching and interacting with students through a computer screen. I use 8:00am-9:00am before school and 2:30-3:30pm after SGI in the afternoon to prepare for upcoming lessons, if I do not have to meet with students during my office hours. I try not to take work home with me. Meaning, I try to be done with all work/school related stuff by 3:30-4:00,” said coach and health teacher Dan Monroe. 

While having no prep can be stressful, teachers have found a way to handle the stress, while still being able to have a life outside of school.

“However, without a prep I sometimes have to work a little bit outside of the school day, on occasional evenings or a little bit on the weekends. But it is usually very minimal and does not affect my personal time with my family, friends, etc.,” said Monroe.

Even with no prep periods and one extra period added to the schedules, teachers are making it work. Make sure to show appreciation for your teachers, with or without a prep period!