Why has hit song “Drivers License” gained popularity so quickly?

Image courtesy of leftoye.com .

On January 8, the hit single “Drivers License” by 17-year-old Olivia Rodrigo was released. People all around the world, as well as San Luis Obispo High School Students, took an immediate liking towards the single.

Within a week of being released, “drivers license” hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.

Expressions set out to find SLOHS students’ opinions on this new hit song and even the drama behind it.

“I really like the song ‘drivers license’ because it’s fun to scream at the top of your lungs with your friends even if you can’t relate to it,” said junior Lauren Anderson.

Rodrigo’s new release has blown up on the social media app, TikTok. The newfound popularity of this song has caused it to hit number one on various music platforms, such as Spotify and Apple Music. 

Many teenagers have taken an interest in the “love triangle” between the three former/current Disney stars, 20-year-old Joshua Bassett, 21-year-old Sabrina Carpenter, and Rodrigo. The infamous lyric “and you’re probably with that blonde girl” has caused attention to the already suspected triangle and has blown up conspiracy theories.

“Everyone is obsessing over the drama, which makes it really popular. All three of them are making bank off of the song, but it seems like Josh and Sabrina are just trying to take advantage of the popularity of ‘drivers license’,” said junior Malena Stenvall.

“Drivers license” has attracted attention from popular artists, including Taylor Swift. While “drivers license” gains popularity, TikTok trends are being created, fans are being made, and attention is being brought to the talented 17-year-old.

Have you listened to the new hit single? If not, make sure to check it out on your music streaming service!