Zoom Classes Have Affected the Posture of SLOHS Students

Photo courtesy of junior Talia Doane

For multiple hours a day, students at San Luis Obispo High School are hunched over a computer screen.

Sitting in a chair over a laptop is not good for anyone’s back and affects posture tremendously. 

A study conducted by researchers at Boston University came to the conclusion that “fifty percent of university students said they experience neck and back pains. In most cases, being hunched over a computer is to blame.”

“Being on zoom definitely has an impact on my posture because I’m hunched over a desk and computer, versus being in person in a real classroom was more exciting and fulfilling. My posture has gotten worse over the course of online school because I don’t have a teacher telling me to sit up and not hunch. Online school hasn’t helped my posture because I am usually tired and since I’m in my room it’s hard not to just get in bed and do school in bed. Thankfully, I try my best and stay at my desk but I still find myself putting my palm to my head and trying not to fall asleep,” said freshman Ava Holland.

Sitting for long periods of time tends to lead to back problems, so pairing that with being hunched over is a combination that can lead to future spine damage.

“During zoom and especially in the morning, it’s hard to keep good posture because I’m always tired. As the day goes on I find myself in the same position hunched over in my chair for 3 hours. At the beginning of the semester, I would kind of let it go, but now I try to make sure at the start of every class that I have good posture or else my back will be sore the rest of the day,” said junior Bo Victor.

HOLS, also known as hunched over laptop syndrome, is caused by unnecessarily hunching over a laptop or screen daily. Hunching overloads the cervical and thoracic spine, protracts the shoulders forwards, and positions the head further away from support. Common symptoms include neck and back pain, jaw pain, headache, pain in the arms, and pins and needles.

How has zoom distance learning affected your posture?

Source: medium.com, evokerpps.com