What is Fashion? Interviews show it to be a Segue for Finding Your Style

%7Bsubsource%3Adone_button%2Cuid%3A3FD070A2-5D2F-44AD-BE8E-3DD66D5363A5_1610053150455%2Csource%3Aother%2Corigin%3Afree_style%2Csource_sid%3A3FD070A2-5D2F-44AD-BE8E-3DD66D5363A5_1610053253045%7D
alexismhaas
{“subsource”:”done_button”,”uid”:”3FD070A2-5D2F-44AD-BE8E-3DD66D5363A5_1610053150455″,”source”:”other”,”origin”:”free_style”,”source_sid”:”3FD070A2-5D2F-44AD-BE8E-3DD66D5363A5_1610053253045″}

Photo Courtesy of senior and Health Editor Alexis Haas 

Beginning of a new year and the pandemic of COVID-19 just continuing, fashion has become a safe place for many including students at San Luis Obispo High School. The safe haven can be a representation of an individual deeper or just a personal liking of a certain kind of clothing. No matter if the new fit is a sweatsuit or if it is a dolled up outfit, SLOHS students are sure to wear it and know it. 

Expressions seeked those who represent fashion throughout the community. 

Expressions: Is there any person or idol who helped to shape your fashion or elements of your style? 

Sophomore Makena Swithin: I wouldn’t say I base my style off of any particular person, I usually find quite a bit of my inspo from pinterest. I also try to come up with my own ideas on what I think looks nice together.

Junior Fiona Stevens: I’m definitely inspired by David Bowie, Devon Lee Carlson, and Elton John, and I’m also influenced a lot by my friends and what we see online. I really like how these people generally aren’t afraid of what people think, and wear really cool, sometimes absurd, outfits because it’s fun and a good way to remind myself that it doesn’t really matter in the end. Also, how they just stay genuine, I feel like that’s really nice.

Junior Emmersen Hill: Some of my fashion idols are Emma Chamberlain and Devon Lee Carlson, they have helped me step outside the box and be more confident in what I choose to wear. 

Expressions: What kind of story or portrayal do you believe your fashion helps to tell about you? 

Swithin: while I have no knowledge of how others perceive my style, I try to reflect my personality through my clothes in a way. I have gone through many phases in the past few years and each phase of my style reflects a bit of how I felt and acted at the time. 

Stevens: I’m not quite sure what my fashion says about me, I don’t really have a set style so it’s hard to really say. I would hope that my fashion portrays that I’m nice and a fun person or something like that, but I think I dress more for how I see myself than how other people see me. In general I think that people do judge others by what they are wearing, so sometimes outfits can be used to serve as an introduction to one’s personality, so I think that I try to show my personality through my clothes a lot of the time.

Expressions: If you could choose just one clothing item to keep from your wardrobe, what is that item and why is it the one? 

Swithin: I have a decorative lacy brown skirt that is very flowy and it makes me feel like a fairy so I would definitely keep that if I had to choose.

Stevens: If I could choose one item out of my wardrobe to keep out of everything I would choose a pair of statement pants because I like to be comfortable, but it’s really fun to have something that has a crazy pattern or design on it. I feel like I’m definitely able to express myself and have fun when I wear them.

Hill: If I could choose just one clothing item from my wardrobe to keep, it would have to be platform Dr. Martens. I like them because they can be worn with almost any outfit, you can dress them up or wear them with jeans to be casual. 

Expressions: How has your fashion through the pandemic affected you / changed since the beginning of COVID-19?

Swithin: I think being quarantined and isolated with my own thoughts really helped my style to develop. without the influence of others at school I was able to figure out what I liked and how I wanted to express myself through my clothes.

Stevens: Because of the pandemic I’ve for sure been able to branch out with my fashion sense and wear things that I previously wouldn’t have. I think it’s because I’ve been able to get to know myself better, become more confident, and familiar with certain things that I like. Now I wear more outfits that are fun and have branched away from repeating the same outfit over and over again, just in different color versions.

Hill: Throughout the pandemic, I have become more confident when it comes to fashion. I care less about what people think of me and I wear what I feel comfortable in and what I think looks good. 

Expressions: How would you categorize or explain your fashion to someone? 

Swithin: I have trouble putting it into one specific category, so I’d say the closest thing at the moment is what I would picture a fairy who lives in cold weather to wear. so a lot of layers and accessories. 

Stevens: It’s hard to say because I really mix a lot of aesthetics and styles together. I’d say it’s a lot of fun pants, platforms, and patterns, but still really comfortable. Anything with a weird pattern I’m obsessed with, but not to the point that it’s cluttered. So maybe eclectic would be an overview of it. I’m definitely heavily inspired by the 70s, but also a lot of the 90s trends I love.  

Hill: If I had to explain my fashion sense to someone, I would definitely say casual/comfortable. I have staple pieces that can spice up an outfit, but comfort is most important to me! Also, I like to follow along with current fashion trends and try new things that can help improve my style. 

Expressions: Any other thoughts you have on fashion trends or want people to know about fashion? 

Swithin: I used to be of the mindset that I needed a lot of money to be able to dress the way I wanted, but I’ve learned that it’s much easier to make your own pieces or thrift unique clothes that are even better than clothes from expensive brands! 

Stevens: Trends fluctuate in and out of popularity and being ‘in style’ really quickly right now, so I feel like it’s important to just wear what you want, even if it’s not trendy, because if you just wear it for the trend then it’s not fun. Also, try to be sustainable when buying clothes. Hill: I hope that in 2021, platform shoes, long skirts, and funky pants are still trending!