Puzzles, The New COVID-19 Phenomenon

Photo courtesy of senior Alexis Haas

Puzzles, simply cardboard pieces put together to create some sort of image.

Many San Luis Obispo High School students have been doing puzzles their entire lives while others have found an interest or the calming side they may bring out. 

“I have always done puzzles growing up. My mom loves puzzles and it has always been the thing that there is one sitting out and you just walk by and put together a couple pieces,” said junior Scott Murphy. 

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, many activities that once were not as common have become the new craze. Puzzles being a main one of these activities. Puzzle sales soared 370% in just two week during the COVID-19 battle. The amount of puzzles being sold has factored to around 20 puzzles a minute. Never has there been such a high surge in puzzles since the Great Depression, another economic uncertainty time period. People being at home gives them the ability to crank out puzzles leaving them wanting to buy more. 

“Puzzles remind me of the holidays because my aunt would always do them. I have always liked them and they are a way for me to relax, they also remind me of spending time with family,” said senior Sasha Sheridan. 

There are more than just one kind of puzzle as well. There are jigsaw puzzles, cryptic puzzles, and logic puzzles just to name a few. All puzzles can be completed by just one individual but they are a great way to spend bonding moments with friends and family and complete them together. 

Next time I thought of “what should I do?” comes into the head, maybe pick up a puzzle and join the puzzle trend! 

Sources:  Cnbc.com  Clontz.org