Hanukkah is coming Early this Year: What does this mean to Opinion Editor Celia Lober?

Photo Courtesy of senior Eden Lerner

For Jews at San Luis Obispo High School one of the most important holidays is going to be during a global pandemic and during school days. This is a frustrating aspect to many of the highly religious groups of Jews here in SLO. Many families will be separated not only for Hanukkah but for any holidays in the coming seasons of celebrations. Expressions asked senior Celia Lober about her feelings towards Hanukkah arriving early this year.

Expressions: What is your favorite part of hanukkah?

Senior Celia Lober : My favorite part is just the atmosphere of the holiday. I really like being with family and celebrating together. Though obviously my number one favorite part is the food. We always make latkes and brisket, so it doesn’t get much better than that.

Expressions: What has been the biggest change or adaptation that had been made to your holiday plans due to Hanukkah being in a global pandemic and landing early enough to be during a school week?

Lober: With my family, we usually stay in and celebrate together, but one of my good friends always throws a Hanukkah party during one night of the holiday. He invites all of our Jewish friends and his non-Jewish friend from school. His mom makes brisket and latkes and we light the candles and play video games and just hangout. I’m sad I won’t be able to do that this year, but if everything goes well hopefully we can get together for it next year.

Although Hanukkah is going to be later in the year, Jews have the pleasure of staying home for school, thus enabling us to be with family. Keep your head up Tigers!