Vests: Fashion statement or Faux Pas? SLOHS students React.

In this day and age fashion is all too telling. Automatically pinned as cool or not for having the newest shoes or merch; students try to keep up. Although many SLOHS students’ styles differ, all stay in the realm of similarity. For most this does not or never has included vests. Specifically the vest-sweaters not the oversize sweater vests that are trending right now, for clarification. 

Why are so many people scared of vests; is it because their grandparents wear them, does it make their torso look too big or even does it make their arms unequivalently cold? 

The idea of wearing a vest is not new, we can thank King Charles the Second, who introduced vests in the 1630’s as part of the “correct dress” for the time being. For being around so long, the hate has only grown. Think about it though, without vests, we would never have the invention of bulletproof vests, making it easier to risk your life daily. 

“In my opinion,vests are not supposed to invoke imagery of aesthetic fashion, I believe vests are made to be functional. A vest allows for zero arm movement restriction while still keeping the middle of your body warm. Vests also have many pockets, which makes them a very useful clothing article. If the weather is too cold for a shirt, but too warm for a jacket, then a vest could be the practical and functioning clothing item to save the day,” said freshmen Marco Petterson. 

Vests are pragmatic, whether they be saving your life in a shootout or warming your torso when your arms need to be free, they allow great movement and protection. Still though, some people can not look past the odd shape they take on.

“I don’t like vests very much because I don’t think they look very stylish and in San Luis Obispo since it is seventy degrees most of the time it is too hot to wear them,” said freshmen Peyton Stocke. 

I think it is safe to say vests are made for function over fashion. Relying on them in brisk morning walks or days spent golfing, where motion is needed in your arms.

On the other hand though, if you want to wear a vest, wear a vest, and keep your torso warm.