TikTok is the Most Mentally Abusive App

TikTok is the Most Mentally Abusive App

For many San Luis Obispo high school students, TikTok not only is an app meant for dancing, but has become a community for makeup, lip-syncing, and recreating funny memes.

Unfortunately, one of the bigger issues on TikTok is why it is so abusive. 

Body image is a huge issue on the app.

So many people comment on videos saying things like, “time to stop breathing,” or “please give me half your beauty.”

Many teens, especially girls, are struggling with having to look like girls who are labeled “perfect.” Because of this, girls are focused on what they wished they looked like, and how they wished they ate so that they can look like the TikTok girls.

“I have noticed that people, especially teenagers and young adults have become extremely comfortable on the app, which can create vulnerability. And with it being a social media app, almost everyone is behind a screen, which allows for cyberbullying,” said senior Lily Bryson. 

In our generation, bullying is a huge issue—especially cyberbullying.

Not only is it an easy way for people to bully someone, but it also makes the bully feel more powerful. TikTok has allowed bullying to happen on many occasions. People always have something to say about any video, and that freedom can sometimes cause harm that is detrimental to users’ mental health.

“People are ruthless and say whatever they want. It shows people’s true colors since it is so much easier to say anything in the comments,” said Bryson. 

On the other hand, not many people always see the effects of bullying. A lot of people are ignorant of the fact that cyberbullying is going on. It also depends on what is popping up on your For You Page and if you’re interested in reading the comments. 

“I do not think it is the most mentally abusive app. That to me would probably be Instagram. I don’t think it is worse for any gender, but I haven’t had the perspective of a girl,” said senior Thomas Cole.

Although TikTok may be a fun app to get a good laugh at or learn a cool new dance, it, unfortunately, is also a popular platform for cyber-bullying. Hopefully, TikTok can see how unhealthy it can be for people and find a way to stop it.