The Best Movies are the Worst Movies

Cover image courtesy of senior Celia Lober.

A great movie should be a perfect blend of plot, characters, acting, effects, and production. Movies with these qualities are the ones honored at events like the Oscars or Golden Globes. Though these movies are entirely deserving of their awards, sometimes a truly great movie doesn’t need a good plot, good acting, convincing characters, believable effects, or passable production. Sometimes all a movie needs to be great is nothing. 

Expressions interviewed San Luis Obispo High School students and staff about the best worst movies they’ve ever seen.

“As a kid, I remember watching all of the “Fred” movies multiple times. To be honest, I haven’t seen them since then, but I can only imagine how much I would cringe. Yet, I must say they are still oddly entertaining,” said senior Evelyn Harding.

Of course, six-year old’s don’t have a seasoned palette for fine films, so Harding’s fascination with the “Fred” films was well warranted. As people grow though, the movie taste also develops, as American Sign Language teacher Kristen Nusbaum bluntly states.

“None of the movies I watch are bad, so there’s that,” said Nusbaum.

While some movies are so bad you just have to keep watching, ie. a trainwreck, some are just bad enough that you can put them on in the background and not worry about missing a thing.

“The horror movie ‘Prom Night’ is so anticlimactic. Literally, there’s no climax. The stalker just stalks people, and since they never know he’s coming, he just kills them. There’s no build-up, no nothing. It’s a good movie to put on with friends when you know no one is actually going to watch and they’re just gonna talk to each other instead,” said junior Linnaea Marks.

As these students, teacher, and others can tell you, good movies come in many forms. Especially in the form of a bad movie.