Staying Friends in COVID-19 means adapting to the Social Distanced New Norms

Photo courtesy of senior and opinion editor Celia Lober.

Friendships can be the biggest support system some may have at San Luis Obispo High School.

A good friend can differ depending on the person but they will always be there in times of joy and times of need. Once COVID-19 hit, people all over had to find social distanced ways to see their friends other than just communicating on social media. 

“Everyone misses their friends right now. It’s been one of the toughest parts of COVID, but I know it’s not forever and that helps keep everything in perspective,” said senior Jill Goldsmith. 

With some parks and open spaces still being open with regulations, there are many outdoor activities that friends turned to. From each bringing their own picnic and eating in the park, to painting with a friend at the park, or walking on the beach. Wearing masks and staying six feet apart outdoors is the general regulation. All these activities can be an easy way to stay six feet apart and still see a close friend one may have been morning to see. 

“My friends and I have been mountain biking, running, and doing other activities we can do outside through quarantine,” said senior Sadie LaChapelle. 

Staying local, doing a scavenger hunt, or going for a neighborhood bike ride or walk can be other fun activities to get out and be able to see close friends. Other people have been still partaking in normal friend activities but being safe when it comes to doing other outside activities with other people. 

“I’ve been having sleepovers and going downtown with my friends. We’ve been hanging out a lot and trying to keep things as normal or almost back to the way they used to be,” said freshman Estella Gray. 

It is recommended that groups stay less than ten people, preferably six feet apart outside with masks. There are many ways like FaceTime and social media to keep up with friends if one doesn’t feel comfortable going out and seeing them. But there are also alternatives if one wants to get outdoors and see a friend. 

Value friendship, maintain happiness, and don’t let COVID-19 win!

Sources: riversideonline.com 

cdc.org