Goodbye To SLOHS Counselor Shelley Benson

San Luis Obispo High School will be saying goodbye to the beloved counselor Shelley Benson as she takes a new job at the San Luis Coastal Unified School District office. Hey, at least she didn’t go to Morro Bay High School.

Benson was a warm welcome to new students and a very helpful staff member on campus for over two decades. Anything a student needed she was always willing and ready to help. Expressions went ahead and interviewed Shelley Benson to learn about her next journey and what she’ll miss from SLOHS. 

Expressions: How long have you been a counselor at SLOHS? 

SLOHS counselor Shelley Benson: I graduated from SLOHS and went to UC Santa Barbara. I worked as a school counselor at San Marcos High School in Santa Barbara for four years before moving back to SLO. This is my twenty first year as a school counselor at SLOHS. 

Expressions: What was your favorite part of being a counselor?

Benson: I love listening to and talking with teenagers, watching them turn into adults and seeing who they become has always been the very best part of this job. 

Expressions: Where are you headed next after leaving the counseling department at SLOHS? 

Benson: I’ve been assigned to our district office as a Counselor on Special Assignment.

Expressions: What’s your favorite memory that you’ve had during your time at SLOHS? 

Benson: There are so many. Having my own kids attend SLOHS was definitely a personal highlight and watching our basketball team beat MCP was absolutely beautiful, but one of my all time favorite memories will always be the time I witnessed Mr. O’Connor carry one of our parents through downtown SLO in rickshaw!

Expressions: What’s one thing you would want students to know as you head off to your new position? 

Benson: My dad always said, “the hardest decisions to make are the ones worth making.” Choosing to leave SLOHS has been incredibly difficult. I’m hoping my new position will allow me to help make things better for everyone in the District.

View Comments (1)