The New “Dune” Movie Looks Pretty Cool

When most people, including students of San Luis Obispo High School, remember “Dune”, they probably think of the movie released in 1984. Based on the book of the same name, it was directed by David Lynch, who’s best known for writing and directing the TV mystery drama “Twin Peaks.”

On its own it’s a very cool and artsy movie that’s worth watching (though be warned that some scenes in it are disturbing). However, it doesn’t really do justice to the book.

Sadly though, its unpopular movie adaptation has caused it to not be in the public’s consciousness to the same degree as science fiction stories like “Star Wars” or “Star Trek.”

“I’ve never heard of either the book or the movie,”said junior Jacob Gearhart.

But that’s all about to change. 

A new adaptation, directed by Denis Villeneuve, is in the works and was set to be released in theaters on December 18, but, unfortunately, it’s recently been pushed back to October of 2021.

Here’s everything about the story of “Dune”, the cast, how the new version might differ from the old adaptation, and how “Dune” is surprisingly relevant to our modern world.

Set in the far, far future in a very odd and complex human civilization, “Dune” is one of those stories that has a staggering amount of backstory and worldbuilding to it. It’s regarded as one of the greatest science fiction books of the 20th century.

“Dune” takes place in a future where humanity is ruled by the Empire and noble families, also called “houses.” The story follows 15-year-old Paul Atreides, the next-in-line of one such house that’s ordered by the Emperor to take control of the super important desert planet Arrakis, also known as Dune. Throughout the book, Paul deals with giant sandworms, weird space-politics, and nomad tribes that think he’s a prophet. That’s about as brief as one can be about “Dune.”

Will the new movie hold up? People have mixed opinions. While most are very excited, many are also a little hesitant.

“I think it might be good, but my hopes aren’t high. I think if they stick to the book it’ll be good,” said senior Nathan Danner.

Even people who aren’t “Dune” fans, however, are still interested in the movie because it stars the much-beloved Timothée Chalamet as Paul Atreides. 

“I read the book “Dune” last year when I found out that there was going to be a movie in 2020. I didn’t really like the book, however I will still be watching the movie because any movie with Timothee in it I am required to watch,” said senior Catie Leebrick.

Besides his popularity, Chalamet is a pretty good actor, so it will be cool to see his performance.

The rest of the cast is also phenomenal. Besides Chalamet, there is Zendaya, who plays Chani, the Fremen love-interest of the story, and Oscar Isaac–Po Dameron in the Star Wars Sequel trilogy–plays Duke Leto Atreides, Paul’s dad. Some other interesting “Dune” actors are Jason Momoa, who currently plays Aquaman in DC movies, and Dave Bautista, who’s known for playing Drax in “Guardians of the Galaxy.”

So how will the new movie be different? Based off of the trailer, it doesn’t appear to be weird or disturbing, which are both definitely steps in the right direction. From what’s known about it, the new movie has the same stoic feeling as the book. It’s also a plus that its special effects look a lot better than what was available in the 80s.

Lastly, “Dune’s” take on technology and the possible future is quite relevant to modern society. There are no computers in “Dune.” As our own civilization becomes more virtual and automated and the specter of artificial intelligence draws ever nearer, anti-computer sentiment is at an all-time high. It will be interesting to see how the lack of computers is portrayed in the new, modern movie because it might be somewhat transferable to the modern world and show how a society can keep the benefits of technology without being overwhelmed by it.

A conclusion has been reached: go see “Dune.”

It’s an amazing story with fascinating ideas and if for nothing else watch it to see Chalamet in his element. It’s always fun to see a much-loved classic story be adapted to be relevant to modern life and “Dune” is no exception.