Meet New SLOHS English teacher Elizabeth Weaver

Along with the start of a new school year, San Luis Obispo High School not only gains some new students, but teachers as well. Elizabeth Weaver is SLOHS’s new English teacher for Special Education and even though most students won’t be able to meet here in person, Expressions decided to interview her to get to know her a little better. 

Expressions:How many years have you been teaching and where?

SLOHS English teacher Elizabeth Weaver: I came from the Glendale Unified School District where I taught in various capacities for 25 years.  I started out as a cheer/color guard/drill team coach and loved the work I was doing – watching kids grow.  I finished my bachelor’s degree and started teaching English right out of college.  In those years I have taught grades 7-12, ELD, AP and various specialty classes, like English for Science and Medicine Academy students.  I was also the district’s literacy and curriculum coach for 5 years. 

Expressions:What is your favorite part about teaching?

Weaver:  love watching brains “get it”!  When a student doesn’t believe he/she can, and you just don’t give up on them.  It’s so rewarding to see that light bulb go off and that moment when a student realizes they CAN do it!  Nothing better!

Expressions:What words of advice do you have for students when it comes to online learning?

Weaver: It is tough, weird, funky and awkward being in school on a screen.  I would encourage students to acknowledge it – every day.  And know that what “usually works” really won’t.  Your teachers are working hard to mix up for you – meet us halfway! Be brave! Remember mistakes are part of learning. Ask questions, participate, and come to SGI and Office Hours! Please!

Expressions:What has been an embarrassing moment in your teaching career?

Weaver: LOL! Oh there too many . . .

Expressions: What was it like being a cheer and color guard coach?

Weaver: It’s the most organized chaos, insane joy, and uplifting hurt.  It’s hours and hours of drill and kill, from August to August, early in the morning, to late at night, weekends and holidays.  At the end of the practices and performances, successes and misses, you are a family of awesome nerds, and you can’t wait to do it all over again.