Southern manners are Different Than California Living

%7Bsubsource%3Adone_button%2Cuid%3A3FD070A2-5D2F-44AD-BE8E-3DD66D5363A5_1600908592947%2Csource%3Aother%2Corigin%3Aunknown%2Csource_sid%3A3FD070A2-5D2F-44AD-BE8E-3DD66D5363A5_1600908610515%7D
alexismhaas
{“subsource”:”done_button”,”uid”:”3FD070A2-5D2F-44AD-BE8E-3DD66D5363A5_1600908592947″,”source”:”other”,”origin”:”unknown”,”source_sid”:”3FD070A2-5D2F-44AD-BE8E-3DD66D5363A5_1600908610515″}

Growing up in sheltered San Luis Obispo, as many San Luis Obispo High School attendees have, the manners in which they have learned may be different than those of the ones taught in the southern region of the United States. Although manners very much differ from household to household, there are common basic manners that vary from region to region in the United States.

In the South, some common manners include calling all adults by Mr. and Ms. plus their last name. Men are also taught to hold doors open for women and large crowds when walking out of places. Men always remove hats when indoors. Kindness is a manner all throughout the world, and is followed and exemplified manner by southern people. 

“When I moved to Georgia, I noticed that people were in general more formal than in California. I especially noticed in younger children, who refer to older people or people they look up to as “Mr, Mrs, and Miss” or “sir and ma’am” as well as shaking one’s hand. There is also way more “southern charm” so to speak. Meaning people are more likely to use words like “y’all, and ain’t”. Overall, I think the south is more proper and has more polite manners,” said former SLOHS student Chloe Medlock.  

In California there are many stereotypes in which people believe they can base their mannerisms off of. We have the basic California girls, who may come off as disrespectful or snotty to tourists. The chill surfer vibe, can mellow this off by just sending good vibes, livin’ the California life enjoying every moment. Californian’s always say “the” before the highway names. In addition, to saying “these ones” instead of “these” or “ya no ya” instead of “yes”, and constantly talking in slang that’s informal. 

“We’re way more laid back, use slang, and drive recklessly. It’s the weather and fires that make us that way,” said junior Oscar Castillo.

With different manners throughout different areas of the US and world, one may see something so strange to them but so normal to that culture. Next time one sets out for a trip, make it a goal to learn a new manner.