Why is 100 Gecs So Popular?

100 Gecs is a musical duo consisting of Dylan Brady and Laura Les, who create music under the experimental electronica genre. While not everyone has heard of them, there are some students at San Luis Obispo High School who worship their music. Expressions interviewed three of these students in order to understand their love for this band. 

“It’s pretty different from other music genres, and it hurts to listen to but in a good way. They’re definitely glitchy and screechy, but also funny. They don’t sound like something you’d hear on the radio or in a normal song,” said junior Ava Walsh. 

Even fans of 100 Gecs recognize that their songs usually make no sense. 

“I typically recommend 100 Gecs to the elderly and the severely mentally ill,” said Grove. 

Most of their songs are heavily autotuned, distorted, and confusing, as seen in their most popular song called “Money Machine”. 

“I’d say their songs are pretty addicting to listen to. I enjoy it because it’s not like most music I’ve heard before,” said junior Emma White. “Being raised barely being exposed to music, this is pretty unique to me and something about their songs makes me feel a bit more upbeat.”

100 Gecs uses large amounts of experimentalism and risky techniques in their songs, such as overly-boosted bass and autotune, giving their overall sound a more humorous spin. 

“100 Gecs’ music sounds like a trainwreck that is bass boosted and autotuned. Somehow it gets better with every play, though. Which is scary!” said senior Sylas Grove. 

Then maybe it’s worth a try. It’s definitely something different than most people have ever heard.

“I would recommend this band to pretty much everyone who wants to explore different music. You don’t have to like them, and I know a lot of people don’t, which is cool too, but they’re a fun band and you can’t knock it out till you try it,” said White. 

Thinking about giving 100 Gecs a try? Listen at your own risk.

Picture courtesy of Ava Walsh.