“No, My Summer Was Worse”: student stories from the 2020 summer

The new normal seems to be debating over whose summer was worse rather than better. So, in efforts to lift our readers’ spirits as we head back to a virtual school year Expressions decided to talk to some people about their summer. 

“I broke my back,” said senior Nick Overby.

Now, although this was not directly correlated to COVID-19, it is directly related to a bad summer and overall a bad year. Other SLOHS students did not suffer the trauma and pain coming with breaking a vital part of your body, but did, in fact, suffer from boredom. 

“Summer honestly felt fake! All my trips were cancelled and none of my friends were able to hang out,” said senior Reece Candaele.

What’s there to do in an international pandemic other than be bored. Without summer jobs open, trips available, and memorable moments with friends, summer 2020 allowed none of us to make money, visit new places, or make new friends. 

So, who did thrive?

“Originally, I was only going to take one Cuesta class, but since I had nothing else going on and was socially distant, I took three,” said senior Bautista Guerrero. 

This doesn’t seem like everyone’s cup of tea but being able to get ahead in what seems like a future that is falling behind, isn’t the worst idea.

As we are all now aware, either from personal experiences or from reading this article, the summer of 2020 was pretty bland.

Expressions encourages SLOHS to spice up the remainder of the 2020 school year.