Fallen King: The Impact of actor Chadwick Boseman resonates among SLOHS students

Illustration courtesy of senior Maggie Zuniga.

Actor Chadwick Boseman was a significant figure to popular culture; not only did he continually portray characters integral to the African American community, but he also played one of the most famous black superheroes: The Black Panther.   

On Friday, August 28, the BET award winning actor passed away due to Stage IV colon cancer; an illness which is known to disproportionately affect Black Americans. Boseman used his fame and talent to tell authentic black stories, which embraced the true experience of black culture. He was able to show so many children and adults alike what a hero truly is.

Expressions interviewed San Luis Obispo High School students about Boseman’s impact on their lives and how his death was an unexpected blow. 

“For me, growing up as a massive Marvel fan, it was really sad seeing that Chadwick passed away, especially since the Black Panther was one of my favorites growing up. He really captured Black Panther’s character in a way I don’t think anyone else really could, as well as all of his other work in films like ‘Da Five Bloods’. It really shows how much he loved his work and that nothing, even cancer, could stop him from doing the things he loved,”  said senior Carmen Silver.

Boseman has been memorialized by many artists, Marvel, and his friends and family. Yet, many wonder why Boseman didn’t share his illness with the rest of the world. Cancers and many other diseases are known to affect minority communities, regardless of wealth, and Boseman’s death brings this issue to light. 

“What struck me about Chadwick Boseman was that he was such a genuinely kind and caring person both on and off screen. With his film work, he tried to honor the legacy of some great figures – Jackie Robinson, Thurgood Marshall, James Brown – and with Black Panther, he was able to create a new version of the character that embodied strength, wisdom, genius, and honor. For my nephew, he was an absolute role-model in how he carried himself and the role he played in the Avengers movies. I respected him as a human being and as an actor – I think we’re going to be feeling the loss of the roles he COULD have played if he were still alive,” said photography teacher Zach Roper.

Boseman left behind a once-in-a-lifetime career. He was truly a wonderful person who exemplifies how celebrities can use their voices to bring about change in the world and he will be remembered for his unparalleled character.