Make Masks Fashionable!

Mask fashion has never been heard of until COVID-19 struck the world in late 2019. This global pandemic has forced students at San Luis Obispo High School to invest in one or multiple face masks to keep ourselves and others safe. The necessity for face coverings has inspired new fashion styles, ranging from homemade to designer masks. Expressions set out to find the best mask fashion trends within our community.

“I think that masks can be fashionable. People need to wear them, and they don’t need to be boring. I think that’s important to get fun, since reusable masks are multi-use and they aren’t single-use. Disposable masks can build up waste since they’re thrown away after each use, making homemade masks even better! Wearing a mask gives me more confidence than not wearing one, and it’s fun for me to have a mask that coordinates with my outfit,” said junior Fiona Stevens.

According to Dean Blumberg, chief of pediatric infectious diseases at UC Davis Children’s Hospital, the risk of infection is lowered by 65 percent to the person wearing the mask. Masks not only protect the individual wearing them, but also protects others from getting the coronavirus. 

“I think mask fashion is actually a big motivator in wearing masks and encouraging public safety. If it looks cute with your outfit, you’re probably going to be more inclined to wear it. I’ve made a lot of my own masks and I have made them for other people as well. It’s a fun and creative way to keep everybody safe,” said sophomore Jane Culbreath.

On June 18th, Governor Gavin Newsom of California issued a statewide mandatory requirement for people to wear face coverings when in high-risk public spaces. The need to wear face masks whenever in public has inspired SLOHS students to purchase or create various masks to wear when out and about.

Wearing a mask doesn’t have to be boring; make it fun, save yourself, and save others!

Sources: ucdavis.edu