Reduce Your Ecological Footprint This Summer

In recent months and for good reason, COVID-19 has been the main topic of public conversation.  It can be easy therefore to forget that other, compelling environmental injustices are occurring daily.

Now that summer is here and the stress of academics is placed on hold,  San Luis Obispo High School students and teachers may be in a better position to reconsider their impact on the environment, and take steps to reduce one’s ecological footprint.   

Some of the most effective ways to reduce one’s ecological footprint are also quite easy.  For example, reduction of single-use plastics is simply accomplished by refilling water bottles and using non-disposable silverware.  Water conservation can be achieved by reducing bath or shower time, being thoughtful about turning off the faucet when brushing teeth, and reminding family members to avoid excess irrigation in the backyard.  

A reduction in meat intake is also easily done. Substituting meat with other protein-rich foods such as legumes, tofu, and peanut butter can provide a tasty, eco-friendly alternative.  While many are staying home more and reducing driving, gas consumption can be further reduced by walking, skating, or riding bikes to run errands.  

“Some ways I’ve tried cutting down on my ecological footprint are cutting down my shower time, trying to buy eco-friendly products, walking or biking rather than driving, buying reusable bags and containers. I will always try to find more ways to become more environmentally friendly and am willing to sacrifice many of my conveniences for it,” said junior Vivian Swenson Ruiz.

We can strive to further reduce our ecological footprints by learning more about what we do in particular that is harmful to planet Earth, and take specific steps to remedy the situation.  A good way to do this is by taking the footprint calculator at www.footprintcalculator.org.  This simple questionnaire will tell you how your footprint compares to others on Earth, and what that means for sustainability.  It’s a real eye-opener and will provide specific examples of how you can reduce your ecological footprint.