How one small act of fighting the climate crisis can add up

The climate crisis is affecting nearly every part of the Earth. Government policies in America aren’t ambitious enough to follow the United Nation’s warning that it will take almost over a decade to prevent irreversible climate damage. While this may seem like a frightening reality, little things help the environment greatly.

Students at San Luis Obispo High School understand the need to take action to fight the climate crisis.

“The little things really add up when it comes to the environment. For example, when you make a habit of recycling, new products can be made with your contributions, rather than using unsustainable natural resources such as trees or oil. Your contributions to recycling over the course of your life will really add up. Other little ways to help the environment include walking, biking, and public transportation as opposed to individual cars, and really buying less stuff. It really emits a lot of carbon to produce everyday goods from clothing to silverware. But it’s also important to note that it’s okay to be imperfect in this, because making an effort is better than nothing,” said senior Gianna Lucchesi.

Students like Lucchesi understand the magnitude of putting in the effort to help the environment. Doing little things such as riding a bike, buying products locally, carpooling, using renewable energy, and limiting your animal product intake can do wonders to help the environment. 

While government policies are stalling, you can still do your part by helping the environment by educating yourself and implementing change.