What Happened at the first SLO Black Live Matter Protest on May 31?

Riots and protests have been breaking out across the United States in response to the death of George Floyd, and those protests have made their way to San Luis Obispo.

Citizens from all around the county and students from San Luis Obispo High School showed up at 1:00 p.m. to Mitchell Park on May 31 to hear speeches from Black Lives Matter members at the Justice for George Floyd rally. While many protests in larger cities remain as riots, the one that happened in San Luis Obispo served as a peaceful gathering and demonstration.

“I really enjoyed it. I think it sent a message to our law enforcement that we won’t stand for what happened to George Floyd and the many others that were killed by police,” said Sophomore Lindsay Smith.

Many who attended have been long time supporters of the Black Lives Matter movement, and wanted to show their support by attending the protest.

Hundreds, still feeling frustrated by the recent incident, continued to protest after the rally. Marching through Marsh street, protestors chanted “Black Lives Matter!” and “Whose streets? Our streets!” While watching the parade after attending the rally, Senior Kaylie Hall felt inclined to join the march.   

“I feel sick to the stomach knowing George Floyd died innocent, and his last words were ‘I can’t breathe.’ Knowing that he was treated like an animal makes me feel angry. It’s not only his death. Dominique Clayton, Isaiah Lewis, Levin Leroy Beasley jr., Wayne Wheeler, Cynthia field, and so many more. Our hands are stained with blood unless we take action,” said senior Carolina Godoy.

“Seeing the massive parade of people marching through the streets filled me with a sense of happiness that our community was finally waking up to the years of oppression. One protestor even yelled at my group when we were watching, saying we were part of the problem, and we needed to join instead of just stand and watch. After that, we joined the march,” said Smith.

The Justice for George Floyd parade allowed for people to demonstrate their grievances about the recent loss of George Floyd. Overall, attendees felt satisfied with their ability to be able to speak up for what they believe in and fight.