Spring hikes come with increase in snake activity

As quarantine restrictions ease and temperatures rise, the San Luis Obispo County community may find themselves out hiking more….. But what may be an upcoming sight? Snakes. Why may snakes be out now one might ask. Expressions set out to understand the snakes. 

“I think snakes are good, they aren’t trying to hurt anyone and if they do they’re just doing it for self protection,” said sophomore Francis West. 

Summer calls for warmer weather, more hikes, and wildlife. Snakes, an animal that prefers warmer weather have begun to come out. Snakes are an animal that don’t sense affection so no matter the amount of people on a trail one is hiking, still be on the lookout for snakes. 

“Snakes are snacks,” said junior Nick Overby. 

Snakes may feel threatened if getting harmed, but if a snake is sighted, keep and maintain distance, then depending if it’s coiled, one may step over it if it’s just slithering through the trail or turn around if it is big and causing fear or putting anyone in danger. 

“There have been a lot of snakes out in MDO when I’ve been mountain biking and hiking. For gopher snakes most of the time you can walk around or over them, but for the rattlesnakes I’ve seen you just need to find an alternate route so you don’t mess with their habitat or put them in danger,” said sophomore Scott Murphy. 

Next hiking adventure, beware of the snakes as summer comes, social distance, and enjoy the outdoors, and nature.