Taste Eatery Serves Good Food and Good Vibes

This is part of an ongoing series promoting local businesses through feature articles concurrent with Instagram giveaways. To check out the giveaways, visit @slohsexpressions on Instagram. For more information, or if your business is interested in participating, contact [email protected]

Nestled off Broad St. is a lovely brick building housing delicious food and a wonderful family business. Taste Craft Eatery has been providing catering to the San Luis Obispo community since 1998 and opened their dine-in restaurant nearly seven years ago. The restaurant offers a build your own combination of sliders, mac and cheese, and salads, and they’re still open and serving food to the community in the midst of Covid-19. Taste is open from 11:30-8 daily, offering takeout and evening delivery. 

A staple of the SLO restaurant community, Taste offers more than just food. 

“I think we have a great area for the local community to meet and enjoy their time together with good food and good vibes,” said son of the owner Ben Lemiere

A true family business, Taste is owned by parents Scott and Gretchen Lemiere. Their two kids, Ben and Emily, study at the University of Colorado, Boulder, but have been working at the restaurant since high school. The two offered some advice for current high school seniors heading off to college in the fall. 

“Keep a good head on your shoulders about everything. It’s hard and sometimes you get homesick, but I would say just try to get through your first year and be optimistic about it. Always socialize, try to make as many friends as you can and go to everything they offer. Definitely get out there, don’t just keep to yourself,” said E. Lemiere.

Covid-19 has taken a toll on Taste; both Emily and Ben mentioned the loss of customers and business. Emily also cited the pandemic’s effect on Taste’s community.

“I don’t see my coworkers as much. I miss the small talk with customers,” she said.

Despite the difficulties Covid-19 has caused, the family continues to find new ways to bring in business and were recently able to bring back two employees. One of their latest creations is the take-out family dinner which offers eight sliders, a family salad, and a family mac and cheese for only $56.

Whether you’re looking for the savory bite of a delectable slider, the crunch of salad prepared with seasonal ingredients, or the creaminess of rich mac and cheese, this local eatery has the taste you’re looking for.

Community members who wish to support Taste can order food or purchase gift cards by calling (805) 541-5860 or visiting their website taste2900.com.