Meet junior Lauren Silver: SLOHS published Author

San Luis Obispo High School students are expected to be able to read and analyze novels from “Of Mice and Men” to “Into the Wild.”

But SLOHS junior Makena Silver, also known by her author name, Lauren Silver isn’t just reading, but already publishing her own books and novels. Her most recent book, “Lost in Los Angeles”, is to be released on May 12.

Expressions interviewed Silver about her novels and her life as a young writer. 

Expressions: How and when did you start writing your own works?

Junior Lauren (Makena) Silver: I started writing back in 2017, when I was a freshman in high school. I published my first book (“A New Chapter”) that year, then began working on my poetry series. I have always been an avid reader and writer. Writing is in the family, as my grandpa and grandma are both published authors as well. I began writing because I wanted to create something that shows who I am.

Expressions: What genre do you typically work with?

Silver: I write poetry mainly, but when I am writing novels/novellas it is contemporary romance fiction.

Expressions: Tell us about your new book “Lost in Los Angeles”.

Silver: “Lost In Los Angeles”, my upcoming novel, is a romance fiction novel for young adults/adults. The novel is about Audrey Moore, a newly unemployed writer, who moves to Los Angeles to live with her life long best friend, Noah. Audrey begins to find her footing and revamp her “boring” life, in the City of Angels. Noah, an eligible businessman, has every woman at his fingertips. It is not until he lives with Audrey that he realizes she is not just any other woman.

Expressions: Where and when can people start buying your book?

Silver: My book will be sold on a few different platforms. It will be on Amazon and Barnes and Noble (pre-order available at B&N until May 12), as well as Google Books, Goodreads, and hopefully Apple Books. The paperback version is out on May 12 (B&N) and even sooner on Amazon (date is not set yet).

Expressions: Tell us about your writing and publishing process.

Silver: The writing process is lengthy and difficult, as it usually takes roughly half a year to publish a book. I begin with writing a manuscript; I usually use an outline or theme. Then I have my hard working editing team (including SLOHS junior Kathryn Van Lingen) edit the manuscript. I edit it as well and do the final proofreading. Then it’s publishing! My first book took a year to complete, my second took six months, and my upcoming book took me one month.

Expressions: Do you have any tips for new writers?

Silver: My tips for new writers is to write something that makes your heart excited. My poetry series, which contains the first book “The Meaning of Love”, and the second book being written currently are books from my heart. They are both nonfiction and very personal to me. So my tip to anyone who wants to write and be an author is to write from your heart.

Expressions: Where can others learn more about your books? 

Silver: My website with my author portfolio is makenasilver.wixsite.com/website as well as my author Instagram @laurensilverauthor.