Karma? Going to the Beach Means No Beach

Across California and including San Luis Obispo, shelter in place orders have been extended relating to COVID-19. Yet Spring is here, and temperatures are beginning to rise, causing San Luis Obispo High School Students to want to go to the beach. 

“It makes me very frustrated that people my age are still finding the need to go to the beach in times like these. The whole shelter-in-place order was created to stay home and going to the beach is going against that. There are many other alternatives like tanning in your backyard or using your pool or hot tub if you have one,” said senior Brooke Jacobs.

Avila Beach has signs posted and many articles across the news stating how people are only supposed to swim or walk on the beach not sit or sunbathe. This was set with the ideals to keep a better chance that people will maintain the six feet social distancing rule, in addition to trying to prevent crowding on the beaches. 

“I think going to the beach is good and important because staying inside can make you very stressed, so going to a relaxing place like the beach would really help. However, you have to be smart about it, so if people stay away from each other, don’t come in big groups, they are overall safer. It would be a good idea to go to the beach but if people are getting together in big groups then people shouldn’t go to the beach,” said sophomore Lucas Koch.  

Most city and County beaches have parking lots closed off. Limiting the amount of spaces to park on the side of the road is encouraging walking to the beach for the locals living there and staying home for others.

SLOHS students have still been going to the beaches and even meeting their friends there too. 

“Even though some people are still going out and going to the beach, I think it’s fine as long as people still do social distancing. It probably wouldn’t be the smartest to go if it was packed, but it’s nice every once in a while to go to the beach just be mindful,” said sophomore Oscar Castillo. 

Governor of California Gavin Newsom announced that he will be closing all beaches in Orange County, and there is no set date yet of when they will be reopened.  For now, SLO County beaches are open.

View Comments (1)