SLOHS students feel the impact of cancelled music

As spring time approaches, concert and music festival season begins. With the pandemic spreading across the world, music festivals and concerts are getting cancelled or postponed to 2021 in some cases, upsetting many students and people all around the globe.

Whether it be local concerts held at Avila Beach Resort or Fremont Theatre, or music festivals like Coachella and Stagecoach, San Luis Obispo High School students are being impacted. 

“I had tickets to go to both Jon Pardi and Brett Young in Avila, the concerts were scheduled for sometime in the end of April and May. I was so excited because it was right after league for golf was, which was going to make the concerts a good ending celebration of everything. I still kept my tickets though and will be ready to see them in October,” said sophomore Scott Murphy. 

Music festivals such as Coachella and Stagecoach bring in millions of people every year, including many SLOHS students who find themselves attending. People from all over the world had to cancel their plane tickets and hotel rooms or Airbnb’s when Coachella announced that it would be postponed until the weekends of October 9, 2020 and October 16, 2020 with Stagecoach the following weekend. SLOHS seniors who may have planned to go no longer are able because of their college location and schedule during the October month. 

“The whole thing is just wack,” said senior Diego Martinez.  

Not only are worldwide concerts getting cancelled with artists like Taylor Swift cancelling all their concert dates until 2021, but concerts at local venues as well. Avila had two large country concerts scheduled for the end of April and beginning of May, which Brett Young has been rescheduled for October 16, 2020 and Jon Pardi October 23, 2020.

The Fremont Theatre has postponed most of their concerts as well. The Growlers, a popular band amongst the SLOHS crowd, were supposed to perform March 16 but now have been rescheduled for December 10, 2020. This may make some students uneasy having to wait even longer. 

“I’m okay with it [waiting to see The Growlers] because I’ve already seen them three times and I’ll get to see them again eventually. But I’m also bummed cause their super fun to see in concert,” said junior Ella Fortini. 

More and more concerts are continuing to get rescheduled especially with San Luis Obispo County’s shelter in place order being extended to May 16. Below are the links to the Avila Beach Resort and Fremont Theatre website to keep you updated on postponement dates or concert cancellations. 

https://fremontslo.com/ https://events.avilabeachresort.com/