SLCUSD SUPERINTENDENT’S MESSAGE to Staff

Note from Dr. Eric Prater, Superintendent

Life is difficult right now, but it won’t always be this way. We can see hope around the corner. When we come out of this pandemic period, there will be significant changes to life as we knew it pre-COVID. It will require adjustments to the way we view the world. In my view, this can be positive if we look at this time as an opportunity to examine what’s most important to us. Let’s rise above the fear around us and double-down on our personal, mental, physical, and spiritual wellness. Not only do I wish for you to survive this period in life, I want you to thrive so we can benefit from this change in outlook once society opens again.

During this week’s Board meeting, I shared – and the Board approved – this recommendation to extend school closure to summer.

This recommendation is based on my strong belief that we cannot keep our students, staff, or families safe from contracting this highly infectious virus at this time. Governor Newsom shared his plans for California to re-emerge from this pandemic in the coming months. In his address, he identified six objectives to make this happen. His fifth objective mentioned the reopening of public schools in the fall with social distancing as a condition. I will work closely with staff, parent leaders, union leadership, and state-wide experts to create the very best plan possible. I am optimistic and believe we will make the best of this challenge. I will maintain ongoing and frequent communication with our employees and parent community to ensure we stay together along the way.

I want to share a heartfelt message sent to my Cabinet team – but meant for all of us – from Board Trustee Mark Buchman. I feel it captures our essence as an organization – made up of hundreds of individual heroes.

“As you get a very deserved short break I, as one trustee, want to thank you all. With numerous education related interactions around the state, I am often asked about what is happening in our district.  When I share the actions you all took, there is a short silence and then invariably the same question — “How did you do that?” My response, “We have the best staff in the state.” I wanted to let you all know how utterly impressed I am with your personal efforts to continually make our students your top priority especially now when they need you the most. For the rest of their lives, today’s students will be talking about what happened in school this year. Our students’ story will be one of utmost respect and awe for each and every one of you. Thanks to all of you for what you did, do, and will always do for kids,” said Buckman.

The quality lessons and creative ideas coming from the two days of professional planning this week are impressive, and I thank you for the excellent work. If I’m going to go through a pandemic with anyone, I’m certainly glad it’s with all of you!

Stay positive and healthy.

Eric