Junior Year sports: The Coronavirus Season

There are many challenges that COVID-19 has created for high school students, such as the cancellation of sporting events and entire seasons. Spring athletes are left with little or no 2020 season and with the seniors who have no chance at one last season, game, or senior night. 

While this is unfair, many people look past another group of student athletes’ whose entire futures could be altered by this virus, the juniors.

An athlete’s junior season is typically the most important of their highschool career, at least for those who plan to play in college. This season is when they set their fastest race times, get their highest batting average, play their best matches. This is when they are scouted by college coaches and are given offers, because by this time next year, it will be too late. 

“This year I was starting to reach out to colleges to scout me, but because of the virus my season ended and I wasn’t able to get the times I had been training for which will hurt my chances of getting a scholarship to any D1 college. Since I wasn’t able to get the times I was looking for this year, it will definitely be harder to run in college with this season cut short,” said junior track and field athlete Dylan Payne. 

The corona virus has not only shut down school sports, but club sports as well, stopping all athletes from playing. 

“it has affected my junior season significantly. As a year round club athlete, and hopeful college athlete, junior year is extremely important for college recruitment. not only has my high school season been cancelled, but my entire summer club season too. I am not sure at this point what any of us are going to do,” said junior softball player Ellen Manning. 

For athletes not planning to play in college, the end of the season has taken any last chance for them to play with their senior friends.

“The main way that I have been affected is that I will not be able to play in a team setting with my seniors anymore. There are 2 seniors Luca and Nathan that i’m pretty close with so that is unfortunate,” said Junior tennis player Bayley Perlmutter. 

Overall, COVID-19 has had a huge impact on these junior athletes, leaving them with no season and little chance at playing for college in a drastic change that nobody expected.