Must Listen Album Review: Halloweens Debut

The Vaccines’ musicians Justin Hayward-Young and Timothy Lanham, now known as Halloweens, have released their debut album “Morning Kiss At The Acropolis.” If San Luis Obispo High School students ever questioned Hayward-Young’s lyrical abilities in the past, rest assured that his nostalgic, dreamy, melancholic new endeavor will prove his genius along with Lanham’s phenomenal skills as a pianist.

Though not the first track on the album, “Lady” is the spitting image (or sound) of the vapor-wave aesthetics Hayward Young credited in an Instagram Q&A, accompanied by a tune fit to be played while you phlegmatically walk down a street. The first song written by the pair jumps around from random descriptors like ‘letterman jackets’ and ‘karaoke for twenty three,’ to lines like “The easy life is a boxing ring/ But people wound up hitting the real thing,” that makes you think twice. 

Spotted with upbeat tracks like “Hannah You’re Amazing” and “Rock Bottom Rock,” most of the album is covered with melancholic croons like “Map of Vietnam” and “Broken English.” Putting his skills on display with lyrics like “you’re supposed to look me in the eyes before you leave/ give me something to hold on to,” Hayward-Young secures his spot among the likes of Alex Turner with Corridors of Love and lines like,“Your veins are corridors of love/ They know the best way to your heart/ I’d cut you open to get in.” 

Ultimately, if you’re looking for your next favorite bedroom-pop-ish (but with some more piano), Halloweens is the way to go. Why not fill your isolation with some starry-eyed, almost-too-sappy, might-make-you-cry-if-you-really-listen tunes? Not to mention that, if I may quote the album, they “sound about as well versed as the last rock band on Earth.” 

“Morning Kiss At The Acropolis” is available to stream and buy wherever you do either! Do either now!