SLO Color Blast Fun Run Canceled

The Alex Maier Memorial Color Blast Fun Run is a powder blast color walk or run in support of the Alex Maier Memorial Fund. Since the Coronavirus has spread rapidly through the US and the world in general, the annual run has been cancelled. The Alex Maier Memorial is a scholarship in honor of Alex Maier, a former San Luis Obispo High School student, who passed away in a car crash caused by another driver who was under the influence during his time at SLOHS. 

“I really enjoyed seeing the community come together, and seeing the end results with everyone all colorful. It’s important because it honors Alex Maier, and his mantra “choose happy,” which I think we should all try to embody,” said senior Thea Ragsdale. 

Every year the SLO Color Blast Fun Run brings out the local San Luis Obispo community and especially SLOHS students and families who want to support an amazing cause. This year the community is going to be missing out on the run and donating money to an amazing cause. The fun run is an exciting time for all ages and hopefully will pick up and continue in future years to come. 

“I did it because my friends were doing it and that made it somewhat enjoyable, and honestly I don’t remember what it was for. Having a tie dye shirt afterwards was pretty cool but the powder tasted weird if you got it into your mouth,” said senior Brayden Shannon. 

The color run is an enjoyable way to spend time with family or friends, get color powder thrown onto oneself and support a local memorial fund. The color run has taken place every year since 2014, the year after Alex Maier, standout soccer player number 23 passed away.