Brandow is Back! New Coach for Basketball with Three Games Left in Season

There are three weeks left in the trimester at San Luis Obispo High School and our winter sports are coming to an end. Most teams are ending with a relatively easy and drama-free season. 

The same cannot be said for the SLOHS boys’ varsity basketball team.

The team currently has a record of 14-13. Head coach Trey Francke and assistant coach Ralph Gorton led the team until this past Thursday when athletic director Jeff Brandow became the head coach again. 

The boys had a tough loss to Paso Robles High School this past Tuesday, then had a team meeting on Wednesday where it was discussed what the coaching situation was, and what it would be moving forward. Thursday afternoon following the meeting the previous day the team’s practice was led by Brandow. 

“During the meeting, we talked a lot about how there wasn’t a lot of structure under Trey, along with other coaching struggles. We wanted to end the season on a positive note and leave the underclassmen something to build off of,” said senior varsity player Sam Ogden.

Brandow was previously the head coach for the boys’ varsity team until this current season. Francke was the assistant coach to Brandow last season, and Gorton was hired as the assistant to Francke for this season. 

“They were great men, it just wasn’t a great fit,” said principal Leslie O’Connor. 

Moving forward, Brandow will finish the last three games with the boys and take them through CIF. 

“[The plans for the future are that] we’re going to be posting a job for a teacher and basketball coach for next year,” said history teacher and assistant athletic director Marci Beddall. 

On Friday, the boys had a tough loss to rival Arroyo Grande. The Tigers were only five points behind the Eagles with a final score of 46-51. This was a very different outcome from the first time the Tigers played the Eagles this season where they lost by 26 points. 

“This game against AG was a great start to how things are changing going forward and how the energy, excitement, and passion are back with us as a team,” said senior varsity basketball player Jeremy Fitzsimmons. 

The culture of the game this past Friday was very different from any other game this season, the boys had a newfound passion for the game. Coach Brandow was very encouraging and energetic compared to the previous coaching staff. Needless to say, the end of the season is looking up for the Tigers. 

The next game is tonight at 6:30 p.m. against Mission Prep at SLOHS. Wear all white to support them!