It’s “Nutcracker” Time for SLOHS Students

For many dancers at San Luis Obispo High School, fall and winter mean more than just Thanksgiving and Christmas: they mean it’s “Nutcracker” season. The classic Christmas ballet is performed every year by the Civic Ballet of San Luis Obispo and it’s company, along with help from local costume makers and set designers.

“‘Nutcracker’ has always been something I look forward to each year. I can’t even pick my favorite part of performing. It’s hard work, but the whole experience is so rewarding,” said junior Evelyn Harding, who is part of CBSLO’s Company.

“The Nutcracker” is the story of a girl, Clara, who is gifted a nutcracker toy. After winning the battle with the Rat King, the nutcracker turns into a prince and travels with Clara to the Land of Sweets. While the main plot of the story is the same each year, small changes are made in choreography and casting.

“It might get tiring if it were done more frequently, or if there were never changes made each time,” said Harding.

Dancers in the show have the challenge of keeping up with both rehearsals and schoolwork, often taking on the extra responsibility of playing up to six different roles in the show.

“The hardest thing for me is balancing schoolwork and rehearsals. Both take up a lot of my time, and I hardly have any time for myself,” said junior Laura Cubanski.

Despite the difficulty, the bonds formed in the company often overshadow the hardships.

“My favorite part about performing is the group of dancers I dance with. When we are in the theatre we always have a good time and I love seeing them. They are like my family,” said Cubanski.

“The Nutcracker” is playing December 13 through 15 at Cal Poly Performing Arts Center. Tickets can be bought at www.pacslo.org.